Thank you for selecting Bereaved Families of Ontario – Midwestern Region (BFO-MR) as a recipient of your fundraising event! It is through the generosity of donors that we are able to provide free peer support to individuals and families grieving the death of a loved one.
What BFO-MR requests of third party event organizers:
- Contact BFO-MR to tell us about your event. It is important we know about any event being held in support of our programs.
- As the organizer, it is your responsibility to communicate to sponsors, participants and the general public that BFO-MR is not conducting the event but is the beneficiary of specified proceeds.
BFO-MR can provide the following support for your event:
- Advice and expertise on event planning.
- Attendance of a BFO-MR representative, when appropriate and available.
- A support letter that validates the authenticity of the event/organizer, from date of issue until the event is complete.
- Limited supplies, such as information brochures and information about our programs
BFO-MR cannot provide the following:
- Funding and reimbursements for event expenses
- Donor or sponsor lists
- Guaranteed attendance of staff or volunteers at your event
- Application for gaming licenses, e.g. bingos, raffles, liquor, insurance
- Prizes, auction items, awards
- Tax receipts for cash or in kind goods that were not directly received by BFO-MR
- All publicity (including media appearances interviews and releases, print/promotional materials etc.) for the proposed event must be approved by BFO-MR prior to be printed, released, etc. that bears our name and/or trademarked logo.
- The BFO-MR name and logo may not be used by a third party/community event on an ongoing basis (i.e. on website or on promotional material), unless permission in writing has been granted to a third party by BFO-MR.
- The event organizer will obtain all necessary permits, licenses and insurance for their event.
- All funds and tax receipt information, if approved to issue receipts (i.e. full and complete contact information for receipting), must be received by BFO-MR within 30 days after the event.
- In the event is cancelled, please notify BFO-MR at least one week prior to the event.
- BFO-MR will not assume any legal or financial liability at a community event.
- BFO-MR is not responsible for any damage, accidents to persons or property at a community event.
Tax receipt guidelines
- BFO-MR will only issue receipts for the amount of the actual donation received by our agency. Tax receipts cannot be issued for funds used to cover the costs of the event or other administrative expenses incurred by the organizer.
- BFO-MR is permitted to issue tax receipts to individuals that make a donation without receiving a tangible item or benefit in return. Tax receipts are provided for donations of $20 or more.
Tax receipts will be issued for third-party events:
- Provided BFO-MR receives a statement showing all revenues and expenses from the event.
- Provided the event organizer ensures that the amount of money collected after expenses is sufficient to cover the amount of money for which receipts have been requested.
- All other CRA conditions are met.
Tax receipts will not be issued:
- For the purchase of admission tickets, green fees or auction items
- For in-kind goods donated to an event
- For donated services such as hiring an entertainer or auctioneer for an event
- For sponsorship, as advertising or promotion (a tangible benefit) is being received in return for the payment
- Gift certificates donated by the issuer of the certificate
For more information, and for a copy of the BFO-MR logo for promotion of your event, please contact us at 519-603-0196 or email email@example.com.
DON’T FORGET! Before you start planning your event, please submit your event proposal to BFO-MR. Thank you!