When someone dies by substance use, the grief that follows can be complicated. Sadness, anger and guilt can be accompanied by shame, loneliness and isolation. The stigma attached with a drug or alcohol-related death may prevent families from reaching out, sharing their stories or seeking support out of fear of judgement.
Grief can be an incredibly isolating experience on its own. Layer that with the complexities that come with a death by substance use, families are hit with stigma twice over.
With our Living with Loss peer support group specifically for individuals impacted by drug or alcohol-related deaths, we are hoping to lessen the stigma, encourage dialogue and create a safe, welcoming space for people who are grieving to share stories and learn to heal.
As per our usual Living with Loss groups, our virtual sessions will be facilitated by two peer support volunteers. PLEASE REMEMBER: We are not therapists, counsellors or mental health professionals. We are providing a safe space to connect with other people who are grieving, to share thoughts and feelings and to hear new perspectives and coping strategies. This group is for adults 18+ and is still free of charge.
Upcoming Virtual Living with Loss by Substance Use groups
This group meets on the 3rd Wednesday of every month from 7-9 p.m.
|November 17, 2021||Self-Care in Grief|
|December 15, 2021||Coping with the Holidays|
Registration for each individual virtual group is required. Check back to register for future group dates or sign up for our email list to be notified when registration is open.
If you have attended a previous group and would like to give us feedback, please complete our short, anonymous survey.
- Once you register for the group, you will immediately be taken to a confirmation web-page and will receive a confirmation email. If this doesn’t happen, your registration did not go through. Please try again.
- When registered, you will receive an email on the morning of the group with the Zoom meeting details.
- If you do not have access to internet or video conferencing/a webcam, you will have the option to call in to the meeting.
- There are limited spots available in each group. Please only register if you plan on attending the group and if you need to cancel your registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registrations made after 5pm on the day of the group cannot be guaranteed.
Register below for our next group on Wednesday November 17, 2021 from 7-9pm.
This program is possible because of the generous support of: