SUMMER 2022 UPDATE
Living with Loss by Substance Use will not be running in July and August. Groups are being paused to give our incredible volunteer facilitators a much-deserved break after 2+ very difficult years, and to allow the BFO team to focus on facilitator training and group preparations for the fall.
Groups will return in September and continue to be offered virtually on the third Wednesday of the month from 7-9 p.m.
For interim support options, please visit our In the Community page for a list of community organizations and counsellors who provide grief and bereavement services. We also invite you to review the Grief Resources section of our website. If you are in crisis and need immediate support, please contact HERE 24/7 at 1-844-437-3247
(Check the “” list.)
When someone dies by substance use, the grief that follows can be complicated. Sadness, anger and guilt can be accompanied by shame, loneliness and isolation. The stigma attached with a drug or alcohol-related death may prevent people from reaching out, sharing their stories or seeking support out of fear of judgement. Our Living with Loss by Substance Use peer support group specifically for individuals impacted by drug or alcohol-related deaths, aims to lessen stigma, encourage dialogue and create a safe, welcoming space for people who are grieving to learn to heal.
Our virtual sessions are facilitated by two peer support volunteers. PLEASE REMEMBER: We are not therapists, counsellors or mental health professionals. We are providing a safe space to connect with other people who are grieving, to share thoughts and feelings and to hear new perspectives and coping strategies. This group is for adults 18+ and is still free of charge.
Upcoming Virtual Living with Loss by Substance Use groups
This group meets on the 3rd Wednesday of every month from 7-9 p.m.
|June 15, 2022||Self-Care in Grief|
Registration for each individual virtual group is required. Check back to register for future group dates or sign up for our email list to be notified when registration is open.
- Once you register for the group, you will immediately be taken to a confirmation web-page and will receive a confirmation email. If this doesn’t happen, your registration did not go through. Please try again.
- When registered, you will receive an email on the morning of the group with the Zoom meeting details.
- If you do not have access to internet or video conferencing/a webcam, you will have the option to call in to the meeting.
- There are limited spots available in each group. Please only register if you plan on attending the group and if you need to cancel your registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration closes at 4:00pm on the day of the group.
Register below for our next group on Wednesday June 15, 2022 from 7-9pm.
This program is possible because of the generous support of: