VOLUNTEER POSITION: Community Speaker
POSITION DETAILS: Deliver educational presentations in the community
Bereaved Families of Ontario – Midwestern Region (BFO-MR) provides programs for children, parents, families and individuals who are grieving the death of a loved one. All of our programs are offered free of charge in the community.
Working with the Program Coordinator, this critical volunteer will assist in outreach initiatives, specifically delivering presentations educating the community about grief. The Community Speaker directly contributes to BFO-MR’s mission by increasing our capacity to create an empathetic community of support and education for individuals and families who are grieving.
Presentations provided by BFO-MR include but are not limited to:
- Understanding Grief
- Anything But Merry (specific to grief and the holiday season)
- Grief in the Workplace
In general, presentations are two hours in length, at most, and allow time for questions and conversation. We offer presentations in Waterloo Region and Guelph and Wellington County.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a critical BFO-MR ambassador, representing our organization in the community and increasing awareness of and access to our grief support programs for bereaved individuals
- Work with BFO-MR staff to ensure understanding and comfort with the material
- Deliver 2-4 presentations during the course of the year
- Collect and provide BFO-MR with presentation evaluations, and share feedback on how we can continually improve and make our presentations relevant
- Share ideas about other potential speaking engagements
Skills & Assets
- Passionate about the mission and vision of Bereaved Families of Ontario – Midwestern Region
- Excellent presentation skills
- Solid understanding of peer support and BFO-MR programs and philosophies
- Comfortable speaking in large groups, and facilitating conversation
- Discretion in handling confidential information
It is critical that volunteers feel prepared and supported before any speaking engagement. As such, BFO-MR staff will provide training to help familiarize volunteers with the material they are presenting, as well as ensure knowledge of BFO-MR programs and philosophies.
Five hours per presentation. This includes prep time, delivery and debriefing with the office. Presentations take place in the evening.
Training will take place at the BFO-MR office at The Family Centre, 65 Hanson Avenue, Kitchener, ON. Presentations can take place throughout Waterloo Region and Guelph and Wellington County.
The impact of your involvement:
At Bereaved Families of Ontario – Midwestern Region, we help children, families and individuals who are grieving the death of a loved one through our grief programs, one-on-one support matches, memorial events and education and outreach initiatives. Our programs support families and individuals who are experiencing one of the most profoundly difficult times in their lives. With your involvement, you are helping the healing begin.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying, please fill out an application form. Please note, only suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview.