Bereaved Families of Ontario – Midwestern Region (BFO-MR) hosts a biennial conference to educate people in the health professions about topics, trends and issues related to grief and bereavement. As a volunteer on our Conference Committee, you will play an integral role in ensuring that BFO-MR presents a conference that is engaging, informative and of value to our target audience. Our conference typically includes one evening keynote speaker session, followed by a full-day program.
The theme we are exploring for our 2019 conference is Traumatic Grief
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Source and approve conference venue
- Research speakers relevant to the conference theme, as defined by the Professional Advisory Committee (PAC)
- Regularly attend, be prepared for and actively participate in Conference Committee meetings
- Develop and implement a promotional plan to attract attendees from our target audience
- Develop a sponsorship solicitation package and work with the Conference Committee Chair and Executive Director to identify and pursue prospective sponsors and vendors.
- Provide day-off support as needed, which may include event set-up/take-down, help at the registration desk, putting together packages for registrants, etc.
- Monthly planning meetings in preparation for the October event – frequency of meetings may change leading up to the conference at the discretion of the Conference Committee Chair.
- Outside of meetings, additional project work (research etc) is expected.
The length of term for Conference Committee members is one year. Planning and preparation for the conference is a year-long endeavour.
THE IMPACT OF YOUR INVOLVEMENT:
Education is an important component of BFO-MR’s work in the community, and plays a role in normalizing the conversation about grief. Our goal is to ensure that organizations and agencies who work with people who are grieving have access to information they need to be able to support the bereaved in our community in a meaningful and impactful way.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in applying to be become a Conference Committee Member, please fill out an application form.