Thank you for your interest in this event. REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
We are pleased to be partnering with Sustainable Waterloo Region and the City of Kitchener to host this year’s fall memorial event.
Join us on Saturday September 23 at Voisin Park (225 Activa Ave, Kitchener, ON N2E 4K5) to plant a tree or shrub in honour of your loved ones. This memorial microforest will serve as both a collective expression of grief and love while having a positive impact on the environment.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- Purchase and plant a tree/shrub in honour of your loved one. (There are only 100 trees and shrubs available. The limit is one per person being honoured.)
- Dedicate a sign in memory of your person which will be placed along the walking path to the planting site. PLEASE NOTE: The sign is temporary and onsite only for the day of the event. You are welcome to take it home after the event.
- Join us for the planting, attend the dedication ceremony or do both!
AGENDA FOR THE DAY:
- 9:45 am: Guests who are planting trees arrive at Voisin Park for check-in
- 10:00 am: Planting begins
- 12:30 pm: Music and face painting
- 1:15 pm: Dedication ceremony
- 2:00 pm: Ceremony concludes
The trees and shrubs being planted are part of Sustainable Waterloo Region’s Microforest Planting Program and the Government of Canada’s 2 Billion Trees program. Through our event, 100 trees and shrubs of a variety of native species will be added to Voisin Park’s greenspace which has been generously donated by the City of Kitchener for this initiative.
Sustainable Waterloo Region has worked closely with the local conservation authority to carefully select a variety of broadleaf, conifers and shrubs to plant that will benefit the local ecosystem. The importance of the Microforest Program rests in re-naturalizing urban spaces. As such, we cannot guarantee what type of tree or shrub you will receive to plant. We appreciate your understanding.
BUTTERFLIES IN OUR HEARTS
While we are no longer releasing butterflies, they remain a symbol of love and hope. As part of your registration, you will have the option to purchase a glass butterfly keepsake and/or a butterfly garden kit to plant at home. Monarchs are currently on the endangered species list. By planting a memorial garden, you can contribute to helping grow the butterfly population. The memorial garden kits include:
- Pot (6.25″ wide x 5.25″high) and soil to get your garden growing indoors
- A mix of wildflower and milkweed seeds
- Decorative elements including a commemorative butterfly rock, a garden stake and small glass keepsake.
The last day to register for this event is September 15 at 4:00 p.m., or when we no longer have trees available (whichever comes first). If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-603-0196
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT: